I'm old, old, and old enough to have used Eugene Sloane's "Complete Book of
Bicycling" as my guide into serious cycling back in the early '70's.  In
his book he goes through great pains, including photos, to explain the five
or so hand positions available to a cyclist riding with standard drop road
bars.  Jock as done us a favor by posting an autobiographical photo of him
riding with his hands on the brake lever hoods.  In addition, hands may be
positioned on the bend of the bars with just the first part of the index
finger digit on the brake lever hoods, they may be positioned on the
downward bend of the bars, and they may grip the flats on the top of the
bars, and, of course, all the way down on the drops.  All of these
positions may be used to the advantage of the rider as conditions vary
through climbing, fatigue (especially in the lower back, but also in the
hands), and when riding into a strong headwind.  If a rider is approaching
a steep incline he/she has the option of either gripping hands around the
brake lever hoods and standing (muscling) up the slope or staying seated
and gripping hands around the flats, spinning at high cadence all the way
up (what used to be called "honking").  If a rider is in a paceline he/she
has the option of either gripping the brake lever hoods and crouching down
or going hands all the way down on the drops in order to gain best
advantage of the draft behind the cyclist ahead.  Sloane recommended using
a bike set up this way for touring as well and never recommended (to the
best of my recollection) the use of bikes set up differently except for
casual riding (unless you're Freddy Hoffman).

Upon viewing photos of these long wheel based, step-through framed bikes
with upright bars, I see none of the same advantages that drop bars offer.
Can one still ride competitively in fast, paceline oriented, club rides on
bikes like these?  Sure, but you're going to pay a penalty in unnecessary
exertion and, as time goes along, the physiology of the extra stress and
strain on joints, ligaments, and muscles is likely to take a toll on one's
body.  The choice is one's own, but as others have advised here, there are
practical alternatives.