The AHH and the Bombadil or a Hunqapillar might be the solution,
sticking with the Bombadil would keep me strapped to 650 wheels which
isn't a terrible thing.  I'm not sure what route I am going to go with
yet, I will probably wind up ordering the first bike in a month or
two, so I have some time.

Right now I am riding a Trek 7.5 FX so I have a rideable bike for
rails to trails type stuff and the road, but no singletrack capable
bike.  I would like to replace the FX with a Rivendell though.  I have
some thinking to do though, but I think the first one will probably be
a trail worthy bike.