The most comfortable non-Brooks (style saddle) I own is a Specialized
Romin. It's one of the few cut-out saddles I've tried which actually
seem to succeed in relieving pressure. Also, the Romin comes in
various widths, and if you go to a Specialized dealer you can ask to
be measured on the ass-o-meter to determine which width you need. I
got mine new on ebay for $70-something.

I can ride my Brooks without padded bib-shorts (once they are broken
in, it's better that way as I'm sure you know), but I don't ride
synthetic saddles with-out. They're really meant to be used in
conjunction with padded shorts. They ones that are not have way too
much cushion and cause other problems. That being said, my Romin
saddle with shorts is actually more comfortable than my Brooks with or
with-out them - I bet you can accustom an un-padded butt to feel the
same. I should mention, I use this saddle on my race bike, which has a
very aggressive saddle to handlebar drop - and being a racing saddle
that is what it is designed for. Maybe, you'll hate it in an upright
position, but they are may be some other Specialized saddles which
would work better, but still come in reasonable widths.

Another thought, I feel that many people go way overboard with the
uptilted angle on their Brooks. A one degree angle is enough to keep
you from sliding forward, much more is counter productive.