on 3/20/11 7:38 AM, Khalid Mateen at krm2...@gmail.com wrote:

I do not want to start a fiery debate about this but what makes japanese
atlantis built bicycle superior to the American made ones?  Just curious.
When there was an announcement that Rivendell would no longer have the Toyo
plant build their bicycles, people with money to spare went after the last
batch of those frames.  It is the steel?  The craftmanship?

Not sure I agree with your supposition about one being superior.

Grant has posted/written a number of times about the excellent quality of
both Toyo and Waterford.

There are a few stylistic differences between the builds, but nothing which
seems to change the functionality.  That may cause someone to compare and
say, "given the choice, I prefer that one..."

There has been some discussion of this.  If you go back through the group
archives, you'll probably find as many people who want to buy a us-built Riv
as want to buy the "last of" the Toyo frames. But, as I said to start, I
don't recall anyone making the case for one being superior.

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

The Gallery needs your photos! Send 'em in - Here's how:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"She edged in to get a better look at the bike, how it was made, the
intricacy of its brakes and shifters pulling her straight in. Beauty."
-- William Gibson, "Virtual Light"