The Waterford facility is a first class operation that was spun off
from the Schwinn Chicago plant in 1980 solely to build the Paramount
class of bicycles (becoming the Paramount Design Group as a separate
Schwinn operation).  The Waterford facility is now owned by Richard
Schwinn (he of the Ignaz Schwinn dynasty) and Marc Muller who is the
chief designer (and was originally tapped by Edwin Schwinn to start up
the Waterford plant).

These people have decades of experience building fine bicycles and
they've been quite closely involved with Rivendell Bicycle Works since
Grant started up in 1995.  Other than Grant himself, Richard Schwinn,
Marc Muller and Richard Sachs were quite involved in the original
Rivendell design and start-up.  Waterford has been around from the
beginning.

I think that there's absolutely no reason to believe that the Atlantis
bicycles built in Waterford are inferior to the Toyo bikes.
Personally, I'd be quite happy to own a Waterford built Atlantis!

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ