AD, yeah, i went all the way up to the peak--i only ever ride diablo
about once a year, so when i do, I like to go all the way.  Although I
did walk the steep bit in the last hundred meters or so up to the
parking lot.  In general, yeah, what Jim says--stay calm, get
comfortable pushing the cranks over at lower RPMs.  Don't be afraid to
stop and catch your breath for a few seconds, or use your "24 inch
gear" (get it?).