On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 12:47 -0700, Forrest wrote:
> Ken --  I'd like to know more about how you adapted your Arkel Big Bar
> Bags to fit on front racks. Not so tough to affix them
> semi-permanently, but I'm looking for an elegant solution for quick
> on-and-off using a rack. I do not like the Arkel system for affixing
> the bag to the handlebar, though it is rock-solid. Too high, though,
> and why not use the front rack if you've got it?  -- Forrest (Iowa
> City)

No idea about how Arkel bags work, but the Nashbar Elite comes with a
plastic KlickFix type bracket that I think may be similar.  I adapted a
Nashbar Elite bag for use with a Velo Orange decaleur by drilling out
the rivets and removing the plastic KlickFix bracket, and installing the
bag-mounted part of the VO decaleur to the bag with screws, with a
plastic reinforcement behind the fabric.   I also did some modification
of the bag with a razor blade, cutting off some straps and removing the
"floor" between the upper and lower compartments.

It worked well for a couple of years, until finally the zipper failed.
The zipper was always the weak part of the bag, and it was balky from
day 1.