My own take on front rack bags is as small augmentations to panniers.
I hope soon to get a small one that will fit without decaleur on my VO
randonneur rack, about the size of but more accessible than say a
Banana bag or a bit bigger. That will suffice for repair kit and tubes
as well as bunch o' keys and food when I don't want to carry a rear
pannier.

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 3:59 PM, dougP <dougpn...@cox.net> wrote:
> If the Sackville is large enough to carry your stuff, it's a good
> choice.  The F-15 will take up some handlebar space.  The main
> question is whether that set-up will handle the wieght and volume you
> carry.
>
> My Acorn Boxy rando sits on the little front rack, no decalleur.  I
> too like a quick off'n'on, so I added a pair of D-rings to the bottom
> near the front and a bit of shock cord with an S-hook.  It seems
> secure enough between the rear strap that drops over the rack and the
> single cord in the front.  I don't bother with the 4 velcro straps.  I
> tend to stuff it full of food, camera, etc, then cram a jacket on top
> to the point of bulging the top.  Stability seems OK.
>
> dougP
>
> On Sep 4, 1:10 pm, Shifty <seandes...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> My heart now beats a little faster when considering what I now know to be
>> called, front mount bags and handlebar bags, thanks to all the positive
>> reviews. It's a much spendier proposition than I first realized, however.
>> The front mounts not only require a $120ish front rack but a $85ish
>> decalleur. That means the two bags I'm particularly enamored with, the Acorn
>> Boxy Rando Bag and the Berthoud GB25, seemingly attainable bags at $175 and
>> $255 respectively, actually cost around $380 and $460!!!
>>
>> As a result, I'm heavily considering Riv's Sackville Barsack and Nitto F-15
>> mount for a grand total of $225. I like the idea of quickily taking the back
>> with me when I lock it outside while I refuel on caffeine and scones. It
>> also appears quick and easy to remove the rack for quicker, tube+pump
>> fitness rides.
>>
>> Any critiques of this set-up are welcome. I

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW