On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Peter Pesce <petepe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are some benefits to the front bag, depending on your needs. It's not
> necessary to use "only" a front bag, and many people combine front and rear
> as needed. Among the benefits are the ability to easily get things from the
> bag while you are riding, the ability to see your bag at all times (less
> likely to leave it open and lose things, for example) and the ability to put
> a map pocket on top.

Right.  I forgot to answer *why* I like them.

Ready access to things like cameras, food, wallet, cell phone, arm
warmers and maps.  Also the map case - I've tried handlebar mounted
map cases before but I don't like them.  The map case on Arkels are
very nice.  I like the saddlebag for its carrying capacity but it's
nothing like as convenient as the handlebar bag.  If you're using wide
enough handlebars the side pockets on the handlebar bag can also hold
water bottles.

Oh, and the rack that the bag mounts on makes a great place to mount a
headlight.  If you mount it off to the side the spill from the light
reflects off of the moving spokes and I've been told by people who've
seen me riding at night in a group that it makes me *much* more
visible from the side.

-Ken