I've got chronic lower back issues, and would like to offer a plug for
Pilates as a way to make the lower back a bit more robust.  The doctor that
recommended it told me that when you start to get to the age where such
problems occur, you need some activity that regularly lengthens and
strengthens the back, for which Pilates is quite effective.  I've gone from
an average of three flare-ups per year to one in the past two years.
 FWIW i ride drops and have their tops at the height of the saddle.

Jim in Boulder