I suffer with knees, too, sometimes. Good to know that knee replacements
are working out generally; my father has an early one that is still working
well. He rides a stationary bike these days, but rocks it at 85. His mother
also had knee problems (ever since she jumped off the Great Wall of China
in the 1920's, onto the back of a horse ala Tom Mix, according to her).

I've lost much cartilage, and had both knees scoped, one done twice, but
good use seems to polish the bone. Nothing better than cycling to keep my
knees happy. I also do balance and stability weight workouts; lunges with
hand weights, a wobble board. I've often thought that bracing isn't as good
an idea as strengthening, if possible. I've found that some
glucosamine/condroitin, etc. supplements don't work, some do. The one that
is working for me is "Cosamin DS", which I get at Costco. Not cheap, but
cheaper than $30K-$40K for a knee replacement. YMMV!
On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Zack <zack...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am with Liesl - knee care and riv riding seem like they can go
> hand-in-hand.
>
> I have a torn MCL which causes my knee to buckle occasionally, and a few
> days of instability/some pain follow.  Riding my riv has certainly helped
> strengthen the rest of my leg muscles, which is the prescription for a torn
> MCL.
>
> I have often wondered about getting a over-the-counter brace though, as it
> seems like that might help.
>

> On Monday, April 9, 2012 2:21:36 PM UTC-4, Liesl wrote:
>>
>> I'm happy to consider any discussion of knees as appropriate for this
>> group; I hope others do, too.  I like to think of Riv Folk as life-
>> long bikers with bikes that will last as long as our bodies do.  At
>> 53, I have one knee that I describe as having gravel under the hood.
>> Knowing others' journeys with knees and Rivendells is really
>> helpful.
>>
>> -Liesl
>
>  --
> For more options, visit this group at