Shawn,
It just so happens that I had both knees replaced in January of 2010.
I was 49 at the time and so I fully expect to have them replaced one
more time before the end of my life. With that being said, the surgery
has not hampered my cycling at all. In fact, I trained for and rode
the Southern Tier route from San Diego to Florida last summer, just 18
months post-surgery and had no issues with my knees at all. Make sure
you do your PT, as has been said. My doctor told me that they really
like to hear that knee patients ride, because they're not out there
pounding their knees. Oh, one thing I've changed is that I try to use
slightly lower gears, so as to spin more than mash the pedals, but it
has not been a drastic alteration by any means. Best of luck to you,
Shawn!