Changed my mind.... that thread over on i-bob seems to have gotten a bit
heated...

My Ram has a 172.5 crank (Dura Ace triple, 53/39/30 rings, with a 11-32 9sp
cassette), as a baseline.   No problems...   I usually stay on my 53 ring
when cruising, drop to the 39 for climbs (try to reserve the 30 for steeper
climbs).

I'd gotten a Sugino XD2 triple (48/36/24 w/ a 11-34 9sp), but in 175, for
the Bomba.  Different bike, different tires, different feel, but that's
okay.   Slower cadence, not a problem, mostly.    But, occasionally, on
shallow climbs where I'm not shifting off of the 48, but instead am mashing
through it, I feel a bit of a twinge in my knee.  Quit mashing, lighten up,
twinge ceases.   The crank length may not have one iota to do with it, but,
I've wondered, if I'd be better off switching down to the same length
crank.   Or, even on down to 170?  (32" inseam, 87.6 PBH, FWIW).

Thoughts?