Yup, I'm up here in Sonoma County "Getting Mellow," too Beth.

I've got Osteoarthritis in my right knee and to a lesser degree in the
left, but I used to enjoy fairly good knee health.  There would be the
occasional need for icing, but I used to joke that a little bit of
swelling would keep things in place.

My riding ranged from 200 to 300 miles a week in 40-50 mile bites.
One or two of those rides were fixed gear.  I never could hack the
offroad single speed thing although the few times I did ride fixed
offroad were a blast.

My mom has had both her knees replaced and I have spent 25+ years
working on the floor.  If anything my bike riding helped my knees -
even the fixed stuff - I never used an outrageously big gear.

My riding now consists of getting around town, and a close-to-daily
recreation/therapeutic ride of about 1.5-2 hours on flat ground.
Though initially it was on my singlespeed, I've now got a Sturmey
Archer B2C kickback hub that seems just right for me.  48/68 gear
inches provides enough low to get me moving, and enough high to make
it feel exciting.

I think once I sell off a good portion of my bikes and gear I'll be
looking forward to getting a Riv Simpleone, or whatever the present
generation is, provided they build some my size.

Phil B