Twentysome years ago, signed up for the Marine infantry, in the reserves a
year before starting into college at the same time.  The attitude of the
Corps for infantry reserves is, we only have you for a few days a month, so
we're gonna flog ya hard to keep you up-to-snuff.  Lots of 20-mile humps w/
not-so-light rucks and gear, over not-so-smooth terrain.  Fivish years
later, while on my college's fencing team, I was having some knee problems,
and my family practitioner happened to have been an orthopedic surgeon in
the Army during Vietnam.   Finally he just out and said, if I didn't get
out of the Marines, I'd be arthritic by the time I was 30.   I'd had a
shift in direction, no longer planning to be an officer anymore, became a
geologist (happy move).   So, I finished out my six and parted ways w/ the
Corps, on to grad school.

Bought me better than a decade...   My knees would creak and pop, but
nothing startling.   Until this past year, as I've turned 40, my right knee
now has gotten 'crunchy'.  Not through 'normal' range of movement, walking
or sitting, but, if I squat down to lift something off of the ground using
my legs (keeping my back straight!), my knee is very audible, like you're
wadding up cellophane.  A couple of months ago, my physician took a set of
x-rays to have a baseline on-hand, to go forward with...

+ + +

And, this kinda ties back to the crank discussion, so I'm torn about
posting this question here, or in the crank-thread...

Think I'll put it over there....