P.S. for shifting gears when there isn't a stick laying around-  which
there is most of the time-    I have used the following at various times:

5mm allen key from saddlebag pocket, 90% of time
pocket knife, left the allen key on workbench
Kryptonite lock key, didn't have my knife
Pencil

I find that the trick when flipping the rear wheel is to grab it by the
tire with your fingertips rather than grabbing the rim, to avoid getting
brake/road grime all over your hand.   But yeah, your fingers get a little
dirt on them when flipping the wheel.    I wipe them off on the grass or my
pantleg.    For flipping the bike over to do this with a basket on it,
that's where bungee nets come in.