I think it helps you pick the bike that you want. Touring, the Atlantis has
thicker tubes, fast road... the Roadeo has thinner tubes... Bomber trail
bike... the Bombadil has the thickest.   You factor in your body weight,
what you want to carry and pick the bike that meets those needs. Diameter
and wall thickness still matter... it's the other stuff that is less
important. Although heat treating is important on thin tubes... on the rest
it is inconsequential.

As most metallurgist's will tell you it's usually joints
and manufacturing flaws that fail, not the parent material if it is
designed correctly.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca.