I have a heretical theory. Thin tires are plush, if you run em soft
that is.
It seems to me that at equal pressure fatter tires ride harder than
skinnier ones.
For example, when I was riding 22c tubulars at 55 or 60 psi going up
the ridge in the local open space they were quite cushy (it takes a
lot to pinch flat a tubular).
One reason to go to a wider tire is to stop getting pinch flats when
inflating to comfortable pressures. But when you do you will need to
go to even lower pressure to get the softness you had. If you go wide
enough you get away from the pinch flats even with the reduced
pressure. Seems like the pinch flat relief gain is bigger than the
hard ride penalty, but you do end up at much lower pressure (eg 20-25
psi in 50c Quasi-Motos vs 55-60 in 22c conti-gatorskin)
Given all that I think that how wide is wide enough depends on how
much weight is on the tire. Lighter riders (not loaded touring) can be
perfectly comfy on thiner tires than heavy folks without getting pinch
flats.

Of course there are other features of fatter tires, but for ride
quality I don't buy it being as simple as fat is comfy.