I have luckily never had a failure on a bike but  I have to say the bike i
pushed to the max was a Nishiki Cresta that between me and my daughter and
some stuff weighed in at over 300lbs. Cant say it rode like a dream but it
did open my eyes that many bikes back in the day that were billed for
"touring" were really just sport touring bikes that could not handle a load
like that. My bombadil rides comfortably with alot more weight than that,
which I have to put to tubing mix so you are right that it makes a
difference but  I trust Grant when he says "heavy duty" for bombadil or
"light tourer" for the San Marcos so I dont need to know the exact stats
for each tube. Now I just wish my did didnt get me sick so I could ride,
damn first week of school, every year!