As both BG & GP point out, the art of design has been fine tuned over
decades.  The recognizable names making steel frames today have
probably thousands of frames each in their experience.  They know what
they're doing.  Spend your time on the fun stuff like picking out the
ideal parts for your own bike.

A question just occurred to me:  So you get all this info about tubing
diameters, thicknesses, strengths, etc.  What do you do with it?  It's
not really info you can act upon.  Grant's e-mail puts it into
perspective.  With 37 years experience, he got fresh input from an
ironworker.

dougP