I went through this selection process a year or so ago. I settled on a
Softride Dura for my wife's station wagon, based on wanting something that
folded down to allow access to the hatch, and I thought getting the backs
on a rear rack would be easier than lifting them up onto a roof rack. I
found one on craigslist:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robharrison/5969361080/ The Dura has an
adapter that allows it to fit both 1 1/4" and 2" receivers, but the 1 1/4"
adapter moves the whole rack back about 8", which makes for a pretty long
cantilever: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robharrison/5969363620/  The rack
is bolted on, very sturdy, and quite heavy. We leave it on all the time.
The bars that actually hold the bikes come off, so you can put those in the
back of the car. The rubber straps that fasten the bikes to the rack arms
are secure, but not at all easy to attach. There are provisions for
anti-sway straps too, which work well, but are also hard to attach. I
haven't had any issues with scratching of bikes with the rack. I take care
to slide the rubber straps under any cables. We've had two kids' bikes and
two adult bikes on the rack. I like the fact that the bikes sit behind the
car, which affords better mileage I imagine than having the bikes on top.

That said, if I had it to do over again, because of the difficulty of
strapping the bikes on with this rack, and the versatility of being able to
carry other stuff too (skis, canoe) on a roof rack, I'd get a roof rack
with an arm like the KC Metro buses have instead, like this Thule Sidearm:
http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/RoofCarriers/594XT-SidearmAs
 I understand it, Thule bought the rights to use this design from the
Seattle company which makes the racks for the buses. Sportsrack maybe? You
can still sometimes find the car roof racks they made on craigslist.

Rob in Seattle