I haven't tried the S3X yet, but it sure looks like a cool idea.  I run a
flip-flop hub, so with the Metropolis I can have a choice of FW or Fixed
(pretty much on-demand), as long as I carry my 15mm wrench for the rear
wheel nut.

Eric, you can slightly feel the gears working in high gear (a kind of
ratchety feel; not necessarily fragile, but... different). I still have an
innate fear of destroying the innerds of my IG hubs... something I probably
need to get over... I haven't really stomped on the pedals yet. FSA
warrants the crankset for 2 years, but apparently not for mountain bike
use. (Don't know whether it's due to the extra gunk or extra stress). Only
time will tell.

BB