Philip:

I'm curious... When you're flying along at a pretty good clip (in 3rd gear,
fixie mode) and you're wheel is spinning at, say 120+ rpm, and you
downshift to second gear, does your cadence abruptly accelerate to the
point of wanting to toss you over the bars, or is it relatively smooth?  I
would think that might put an awful strain on the internal gearing...
What's it like?  (I submitted a question to Sam Patterson, developer of the
Metropolis crankset, asking whether I can ride it in fixie mode... haven't
received his reply yet.)

BB