Gosh, life would be a lot simpler if circumstances forced me to have just
one bike. This "ideal" has been a mirage that I unconsciously wander
towards but never quite arrive at. I'm down to 2 now, but a 3rd on the way,
with plans to sell off 1 in later future... but the mind tends to keep
wanting!

If supernatural forces held me to just having one bike, then it'd be my Sam
now, and if I could choose from scratch, cost not an issue (which it
shouldn't be if reducing the stable to ONE bike!), maybe a custom steel
mountain bike, fully rigid, massive clearances.