I have used it pretty extensively from quick overnights to cross country. It
works great Nd is super easy to pack- no worries about load balancing. The bike
is incredibly stable towing it and after using it for a few days the bike feels
strange without it. I have used it on a variety of bikes from touring bike to
my Bike Friday and it did great. The downsides?  It adds weight and if you are
the only person with a trailer you are going to work harder to keep up. It also
means one more wheel- flats, etc. It is a pain to travel with and can make bus
and train trips a major chore. It will also be one more bag to check if you are
flying.

Overall it certainly has its upsides but if I were starting from scratch- with
the cost of shipping and airline fees- would lean towards panniers.

Cheers!
cm