Working with Mark Stonich (Bikesmith) the other night on a Dimension/Andel 175
mm mountain double crank I bought for this project, I came away with some 153
mm cranks for the ladyfriend. We'll see how it goes. For a lot of cycling
enthusiasts, conditioned to the notion that 5 mm of crank length is a huge
difference, 153 sounds ridiculously short. But they don't actually look weird.
On a small bike, they look right. Proportional. Of course, looks can be
deceiving, but my sense is that 153 mm is far from an "extreme" solution to a
bike fit issue.

Incidentally, Mark S shortened some Sugino cranks for me a few years ago. In
that case, the purpose was kid cranks for my tandem. I think they're 90 or 100
mm. So far, many miles have been happily pedaled on those cranks, by kids aged
3-7.