Yes ... 153 is not all that "radical" !   There are many triathletes that
are using cranks as short as your kids !!!  No Joke .... and they wouldn't
be doing it if it didn't work for them !!     You can get certain brands
stock quite short, in a 110mm BCD.  Origin8 goes to 140mm and a few go down
to the 120's. Of course, when you go that short you must consider having a
large enough frame to be able to keep the bars raised !!    Triathletes
don't have that issue of course .

It's funny how long held beliefs about things can be changed in a heartbeat
!!!!   That's the beauty of LIFE !!!!!!!