I'll add a data point here, being an owner of Tubus, Nitto, Velo-Orange and
Racktime (Tubus' low-end) racks.

I have a broken Tubus Fly. It's a black chrome-moly version and it broke at
the weld. Yes, I was trying to bend it to fit it to a wider dropout but
still, it wasn't a tandem 145mm. It cracked at the weld and Tubus did not
answer any of my emails. So that tells me two things: Tubus customer
service is non-existent, and Tubus racks are not terribly lenient of
manhandling. Perhaps it's a weld/HAZ defect or perhaps it was me being a
klutz. I guess we'll never know. What I *did* expect was that it would bend
rather than crack, as with all my Nitto and Velo-Orange racks. Those did
not crack at the weld or anywhere else when subjected to the same or even
higher displacement adjustments. Sample size is one though.

All my rear racks are strong enough, even when I occasionally piled onto
the racks heavy iron/steel discs (used car disc brakes) to deliver for
recycling. Even my (intact) stainless Fly was pretty solid. I only have
Nitto and Velo-Orange front racks and these aren't really stressed, with
the heaviest cargo being my "randonneur" type front bag loaded with food
and supplies.

The Velo-Orange racks appear to weather usage the best likely because they
are polished stainless steel. There appears to be minimal markings even at
the pannier clamp areas. The painted Tubus and Racktime racks have "bald
spots" as the supplied protective tape peeled off (useless adhesive) and
usage resulted in beausage. No rust though, but then I live in California.
The stainless Tubus and Nitto racks look fine (I have both chrome and satin
versions of the Nitto) but they show more beausage than the VOs even though
they probably see less use.

Overall and in summary, I hesitate to buy Tubus racks again, simply because
of the crack of my one rack and the non-responsiveness of Tubus. This
despite the rack's light weight and (to me) attractive minimalist design.
The Nitto racks are very *very* attractive and well-made, but expensive and
relatively heavy. (I swear I'm not a weight weenie!) They're also as
functional as any other rack. I'll buy them if they are the appropriate
purchase, if for nothing else than their beauty. The VOs are probably my
best buy for racks, at least for my usage pattern. They're cheapish, light
but unfortunately also have small platforms. So they're not terribly
appropriate for big panniers. For example, my Ortlieb Office bag isn't the
most stable on the VO constructor rear rack. However, when used with the
appropriate bags, they're tough to beat for value even if they're not the
prettiest.

Cheers,
Benz
Sunnyvale, CA