Axioms are cheap, in part, because of country of origin, yes, but also because
they're made and imported by the zillions. I get the impression that Nitto
makes racks in batches of tens, or a couple hundred, at most. And then you're
paying tons extra for a lopsided currency exchange that has nothing to do with
the quality of the workmanship. Tubus may not be much higher volume than Nitto.

I broke a (non-structural) weld on a Tubus rack, too, also by bending it in a
way that it wasn't meant to bend. Even with the snapped weld, I used that rack
HARD for several years and it worked great, never gave me any problems. I
eventually sold it on whatever bike it was on, but I've continued to use Tubus
products, and have always been happy with that brand's smart, efficient designs
and quality.

As far as Tubus customer service, or any customer service...I never put my
faith in an email's ability to communicate my point (or get through spam
filters). I have a hunch that a phone call to Ortlieb/Tubus USA would have the
desired result. I talk to those people all the time. They're really helpful.