Apparently you have not been following the earlier discussions on the
Cambium.

Yes, mainstream saddles are frequently plastic.  I and others interested in
leather free alternatives to quality Brooks and Berthoud saddles have said
and this and other bicycle forums that the plastic saddles all tend to be
both be horribly uncomfortable and have a short life span.

The Brooks Cambium - which is not plastic, by the way - gives hope there
may be an alternative.  I know many cyclists who avoid animal products
(politically neutral enough for you?) that are looking forward to finally
having a quality, leather free saddle that can provide lasting comfortable
rides.

Maybe the Cambium will not be that product.  Maybe it will.  I expect that
Brooks hopes that it is.  Global response to the Cambium appears to be
quite good.  Certainly getting a lot of press on line.  A niche has in fact
been touched.