All Cross-checks in all sizes come out of the box with 300 mm steerers. With a
62 cm frame, there is nothing to cut off because the head tube is long enough
to allow a stem and maybe an inch or two of spacers. The old Surly warranty
stipulated that stem plus spacers shouldn't exceed 100 mm, but last year they
changed that, and now they say there is no limit on steerer length. But this is
important: with threaded steerers, the size of the frame determines how high
you can get the bars. If you want high bars, get a big frame. This is the
Rivendell way. This advice is completely worthless with threadless steerers
like Surly uses, because all sizes can have the same handlebar height if you
don't cut the steerer. So a 52 cm frame can theoretically fit exactly the same
as a 58 cm frame if the stem length is long enough to make up the difference.
Buying a Surly using the Riv sizing guideline apples-to-apples is quite likely
to result in a bike that's on the too-big side.

I will tell you that uncut steerers with a lot of spacers tend to get a lot of
negative commentary. Our Surly floor bikes usually sport this feature, and
everyday somebody asks me to justify it or comments that they don't like the
look. Yet of the bikes that sell, only a small fraction come back to have the
steerer shortened.