On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:12:22 PM UTC-4, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
wrote:

> What constitutes a "fistful", and why does such an arbitrary dimension
> lead us around by the short hairs? Can't we go 2 cm either way and still
> have an approximate fistful?  I would say that in general, with Long Haul
> Truckers and Cross-checks, go one size down from the Riv recommendation
> simply because the way the two brands measure frame size is slightly
> different.

I dunno....  I guess "fistful" is what you end up with for seatpost
exposure when you subtract ~17cm from your saddle height and get your frame
size, since that is what Rivendell/Grant
recommends<http://www.rivbike.com/kb_results.asp?ID=41>,
a "fistful", and that is the way he recommends arriving at it.    I'm sure
you could go 2cm either way under this system, but this post began about a
guy being sold a frame that was 4cm too small for him by his own
estimation, and that of his friend (the OP, Ian).     He wanted a 62, and
the shop was adamant that he should ride a 58.    In this case I'd guess
Grant's and Ian's sizing system/recommendation have served him well.

Also, Surly measures their Crosscheck and LHT frame sizes *exactly* the
same way Rivendell measures theirs:   Center-to-top (i.e., top of TT).
My better half owns one of the early crosschecks which is sitting in our
living room, and this is how it's measured/sized.

You'll still have an approximate fistful (depending on the size of your
> fist), and the bike will better approximate the fit of the recommended Riv
> size.

The geometries of the 58cm LHT and 58cm Atlantis are virtually identical,
so I'd guess if you wanted your LHT to fit approximately like an Atlantis
(as the Riv chart recommends sizing it), you'd couldn't get any closer than
by purchasing the same size.    Sure the BB is spec'd at 2mm higher on the
LHT <http://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker/geometry>, with a 78mm drop
rather than 80mm of the Riv, but I don't reckon that makes an appreciable
difference in how big the bike feels.

Matt

If you measure a LHT the same way you measure an Atlantis, a 56 LHT is more