Well, that’s the thing I brought up in response to Jan, although as I have
tried finding that information on the Internet I have come up blank.  Maybe I
am remembering it incorrectly.  As I recalled it, a guy named Carl Fogel used
sheets of paper on the floor and a stamp pad to create an image of the tires’
contact patch.  However, what I have turned up is discussion of different
pressures in the same tire rather than different width tires; the image of the
contact patches is no longer available:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/374655/contact-patch-size-versus-tire-inflation

There may be something relevant in the following, I have not had time to read
the article closely; the variable seems to be rim width rather than tire width.
 The differences in the graphics seem to be rather highly exaggerated in an
effort to justify buying expensive rims:

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2011/11/flo-cyling-contact-patch-why-wider-is.html

It’d be interesting to compare different width tires, possibly also at
different pressures.