I agree with you that it feels that way.  The math says that it's a tiny
difference, though.  For example, accelerate from 0 to 30kph.  Do that with
light wheels and calculate the energy it takes to get your body+bike moving
that speed, and add the energy it takes to spin up those light wheels.
 Then do the same calculation for heavy wheels, say 1000g heavier.  The
math says it's about 2% easier to spin up light wheels from 0 to 30kph than
it would if your wheel were a full 1kg heavier.  That's cold hard math.
 You and I both know that wheels a full 1000g lighter "FEEL" way faster
than 1 or 2%, but there you are.  Try and measure it in a test scenario and
it would be extremely difficult to do.

If you have a reference to measurements of improved braking distance as a
function of wheel weight I'd be really interested to see it.

Here's a site that does the accelleration calculations for dozens of
wheels, if you are curious.
 http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15988284.html  The author is
making the point that lighter wheels are absolutely necessary to win at
racing, particularly because of the ~2% improvement.  The math would
suggest that decelleration during braking would have exactly the same ~2%
improvement.