I've put the bike back together in the Paris subway and in the Amtrak
station in Portland.  It really isn't that bad as long as you have a 4, 5
and 6mm allen wrenches handy.  It's more of a hassle to drag the bike box
around than it is to just put the bike back together.  (IMO).

I agree with you on the need for a disposable box for point-to-point trips.
 When I rode the Portland-Glacier 1000K brevet I left the car in Whitefish
and took the train overnight to Portland.  I wasn't confident that Amtrak
would have a big enough box for my bike so I had it packed by the LBS in a
makeshift box before I left home, which I then threw in the back of the car
for the trip from Austin to Whitefish.  I have friends in Portland and I
could have probably stored a box no problem but having a disposable box was
nice.  Once I put the bike back together, I left the remnants of the box by
the recycle bin.

As for the bike trip being only part of the vacation, I arranged for the
hotel at CDG we were staying the last night in France to store my bike box
after PBP until it was time to leave for home.  I can't guarantee that
every hotel will offer this kind of service but it's worth asking about.
 Storing the bike there lightened the load considerably for our tour of
Normandy and Brittany after PBP.

Jim

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM, dougP <dougpn...@cox.net> wrote:

> You've thought of a couple of the unintended consequences of traveling
> with a bike.  Remember you need the box for the return trip.
>
> While it seems quite practical, putting together a bike at the airport
> after a long distance flight is nothing I would ever attempt.  I'm too
> dingy at that point to have much chance of doing it right, plus all the
> other assorted hassles of the airport.
>
> If you are doing a loop ride and flying back out of the same airport, use
> a cab or shuttle to get you & your bike to lodging.  They usually have
> large enough vehicles to carry the bike.  If you arrange it in advance, you
> can find a place to store the box while you are on your trip.
>
> If you are doing a point-to-point, it gets a bit tricky.  Here you'll want
> a disposable box (scrounged from your LBS) for the outbound leg and arrange
> with a bike shop at the end of your trip for a box for the return.
> Hopefully since your flying some distance it will be a big airport in a
> major city with bike shops.
>
> If you are flying in someplace, then renting a car to get out to the start
> of the bike portion, the parts of the bike (frame, wheels, etc) are easier
> to get in a rental car than the boxed bike.  Cars with conventional trunks
> don't hold much & are awkwardly shaped for large objects like bikes.  Vans
> are the answer but also expensive and in high demand during vacation season.
>
> "What if the bike is only part of the trip?"  Now you're in a pickle.  As
> agile as a bike may be when ridden, it's a huge anchor to drag around if
> you're not using it.  Solutions are renting a bike for the portion you need
> it (say, 1 week out of a 2-3 week vacation) or arranging to store your own
> bike some place convenient (and safe!).
>
> It's stuff like this that made S&S couplers business.  I don't have one
> but have packed an S&S equipped bike.  It's amazing but that 62" suitcase
> fills up fast.
>
> dougP
>

> On Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:29:44 AM UTC-8, Minh wrote:
>>
>> Just to tack onto this discussion, what do people do when they get to
>> their destination?  Perfect world, unpack the bike and ride from the
>> airport, or taxi to hotel then ride, but what if bike is only part of the
>> trip?  How do you manage transporting by rental car?
>>
>> Would like to hear how people manage this in practical terms, i've always
>> wanted to bring a bike but it seems like too much of a hassle.
>>
>> On Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:26:18 PM UTC-5, Kieran J wrote:
>>>
>>> I can certainly see how it would be more convenient to schlep around.
>>> But I am a little concerned about this size frame fitting into the S&S box.
>>> I haven't done any extensive reading or first hand trying, but it looks
>>> like it might be a no-go.
>>>
>>> KJ

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!