Great topic. I’ve had good and bad experiences traveling with bikes, mostly
associated with being charged for putting a bike on a plane.

I’ve traveled with a bike three ways:

1) With a folding and disassembled Dahon Speed Pro that fits (with some
practice) in a standard-sized suitcase. Never a problem, but it’s a hassle to
get it in and out of the case. I have never been charged for putting this on a
plane.

2) With a slightly larger folding Dahon Smooth Hound that fits easily into a
case that’s a few inches over the maximum size for “oversized luggage” (but
below the 50-pound weight limit that most airlines use). In some cases, the
baggage handlers or ticket counter staff take the case (which looks like a
really big suitcase—no bicycle pictures on it) and put it on the conveyor. In
others, the person accepting baggage gets out the tape measure and I know I’m
about to be charged for oversized baggage. On a recent trip from Sacramento to
Portland, this bike flew free on the way up, and I paid $75 on the way back. In
my experience, it all comes down to how much of a stickler the person at the
counter is. The guys accepting baggage outside the terminal seem to care less
about a few inches of excess size, but that’s not a sure thing.

3) With a regular bike inside an Iron Case. I’ve flown around the US and to
France twice this way without any problems. Downside is of course the cost—no
getting a bike case on the plane without paying—and the need to have ground
transport at the other end with the capacity for something this large. The
airline I usually use (Southwest) now charges $75 per leg, which adds $150 to
each trip. My personal calculation, based on the number of times I fly each
year, doesn’t make it pencil out to get an S&S-coupled frame.

I’ve been hunting around my local thrift store for a large, used suitcase that
I could squeeze the Dahon Smooth Hound into. That would solve many of my
problems—it’s a good bike that rides almost as well as a standard bike, and if
I could fly with it for free it would be worth it.

--Eric Norris
Email: campyonly...@me.com
Web: www.campyonly.com
Blog: http://campyonlyguy.blogspot.com