On 6/5/12 10:51 PM, Heidrun Wiesenmüller wrote:
Thomas said:

The Find user task needs to be satisfied. In card catalog conventions, the main entry heading collocates related works. Using some sort of (standardized) method for the value of the "Work manifested" means that other works can specify something that will link back to the work in this mix of data. The objective in RDA 17.2 is:

"Find>>all<< resources that embody a particular work or expression" -- this implies some convention is needed beyond a set of loosely related elements like Creator and Title proper.

I very much doubt that having a name-title string in the data is an adequate tool to satisfy this user task, at least unless there are additional mechanisms in place.

I agree. I also wonder about the "find all" and concur with your conclusion below that most people looking for a work want to find A copy of that work, not ALL copies of the work. Note that Cutter's famed user tasks were worded like:

"1. To enable a person to find a book of which either
  (A) the author
  (B) the title
  (C) the subject ... is known"

Note that he says "a book" not "all books," although this could just be a turn of phrase on his part. Yet, headings in his word serve not to retrieve but to "collocate" -- that is to put the entries near each other in location. There is no expectation that the user will (or must) view every card before making a selection, and there is no concept of "find all," as far as I can see. That concept seems to have come about with retrieval, and retrieval depends on concepts introduced by the computer.

3. Work clustering algorithms:
In a first step, only _one_ manifestation of the work in question has to be found (it doesn't matter which). In a second step, all manifestations belonging to the same work are retrieved by making use of a work clustering algorithm.

I have recently been thinking about Work as a cluster rather than a *thing*. It may not be analogous, but my mental model is that of VIAF, where authority records are clustered such that the cluster represents a named person or corporate body, etc., in spite of minor differences in cataloging practices. The clustering does not change the content of the clustered records, which to me is an important elements.

I haven't figured out where Expression fits into this model, but it makes sense to me that a Work is a cluster or set of all of its Expressions/Manifestations; and that a Work does not exist unless there is at least one Expression/Manifestation/(Item?).

I did a blog post with the beginnings of this thought in 2009:
  http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2009/08/what-is-frbr-work.html

To me, this bottom-up approach makes more sense than a top-down one because we only really encounter Items in real life -- the rest is abstract. With you, I wonder if WEM isn't something that we interpret from bibliographic data, assuming that the data contains appropriate elements. Given a large corpus of bibliographic data, I would think that such clustering could be nearly as accurate as would be created by human catalogers, and would be much more efficient in terms of time.

One advantage of clustering, in my view, is that bibliographic items can be clustered based on different criteria if desired. Thus communities that have a different view of Work or Expression from the *standard* RDA view can see the Work that meets their needs without having to re-catalog or to translate/crosswalk data. This seems more flexible than having just one definition of Work/Expression/Manifestation -- instead, it allows interoperability between different such views.

kc

Method 3 may be especially interesting. In German catalogs, which already have links to authority records for persons and corporate bodies (which means that variant names can be used for searching), it should be easy to retrieve at least _one_ manifestation of a certain work, even if a variant title for the work is used (provided the catalog is of a certain size and also includes a fair sample of material in different languages). Also, there are already implementations of work clustering algorithms which work reasonably well. For instance, in some Primo catalogs, other manifestations of the same work are automatically retrieved and can be displayed by clicking on a button. Of course, we also know the "view all editions and formats" link from WorldCat.

I believe that ideas like this are one of the reasons for the German decision to implement RDA in scenario 2 instead of aiming at scenario 1. It is felt that FRBRization can be achieved by technical measures and be shown on a surface level (only "virtually", as it were), without having to change too much in the underlying data structures itself.

Having to create an authority record for _every_ work, as it would be necessary for method 1 (and perhaps also for method 2, as the work information obviously must come from somewhere), seems to be a daunting task. But now I come to think about it, I wonder: Wouldn't it be possible to generate work authority records automatically? Based on work clustering, we could e.g. collect all variant titles for a work from the various manifestations. Maybe this is a direction worth looking at.

I'm sure there are more methods than the three I've mentioned. And of course, linked data, could also play a part (one possibility of handling variant personal names could be a tool which makes use of VIAF in RDF, for example).

Heidrun

--
Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net