I think there's a different aspect of the Find user task involved here.

For example, if one is presented with a manifestation, the user task is to Find
all items that exemplify that manifestation. One doesn't retrace steps and do
keyword searches and browse searches hoping that some new result set can find
all the related items attached to one manifestation. Rather, one is presented
immediately with all the items because a convention for a relationship element
is in place that links a manifestation to all the items. Essentially, catalogs
work that way now-- with bibliographic records displaying above or before all
of the holdings on a screen.

The users that benefit from seeing all the resources that embody particular
works and expressions include those with roles in acquisition, preservation,
and reference. The idea that it's OK to not necessarily find all the resources
is an odd assertion in this discussion thread.

The name-title string is still the basis behind how catalogs functions. I don't
think they're ideal, and whether they're adequate is often dependent on how
well a system can handle them.

As a case in point, the first web-based catalog I used could have hyperlinks
attached to name-title headings. That's great -- except the 1XX+24X fields
would not be caught in this net, even though those fields mean exactly the same
thing as the 7XX name-title heading-- an identifier for a work. This was less
than adequate and would mean anyone who clicked the link would get some related
works but not all of them, and in fact, genearlly not the main ones that the
library held because those were represented with the preferred title
overlapping the 245 title proper.

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library