Actually, don't the definitions of Editor and Editor of an Compilation  in RDA I.3.1 allow a cataloger the option to decide that editing or compilation rises to the level of authorship of a new work?

editor ... "For major revisions, adaptations, etc., that substantially change the nature and content of the original work, resulting in a new work, see authorI.2.1."

editor of compilation ... "For compilations of data, information, etc., that result in new works, see compiler,I.2.1."

BTW, I just wrote a blog post about editors as a result of a friend's question about editors and main entry:

There must be something in the autumn air that turns a cataloger's fancies to thoughts of editorship.

Cheryl Tarsala, Ph.D.