Cheryl Tarsala wrote:

> Actually, don't the definitions of Editor and Editor of an Compilation  in
> RDA I.3.1 allow a cataloger the option to decide that editing or
> compilation rises to the level of authorship of a new work?
>
> editor ... "For major revisions, adaptations, etc., that substantially change
> the nature and content of the original work, resulting in a new work, see
> author, I.2.1."
>
> editor of compilation ... "For compilations of data, information, etc., that
> result in new works, see compiler,I.2.1"

It depends on the nature of the work.  There's a distinction here between a
collective or aggregate work on the one hand, and a new work composed of "data,
information, etc." on the other hand.  The former has an "editor of
compilation" (a contributor) while the latter has a "compiler" (a creator).  At
least, that's how I understand the definitions in RDA.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
k...@northwestern.edu