From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Robert Maxwell
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2012 1:05 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: Re: [RDA-L] Brackets for unnumbered pages in notes?

RDA does not address this, but there is an LC-PCC Policy statement that
catalogers may follow if they like and should if they're creating PCC records:

LC-PCC PS for
1.7.1[http://access.rdatoolkit.org/images/rdalink.png]<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/document.php?id=rdachp1&target=rda1-787#rda1-787>
GENERAL GUIDELINES ON TRANSCRIPTION
Punctuation in Notes
LC practice/PCC practice:
3.
Square brackets. Do not use square brackets in notes except when they are used
in quoted data.

EXAMPLE
500<http://desktop.loc.gov/saved/Mabibl_500> ##

$a"Types of prayer wheels found in south central Tibet, by Mei Lin": pages
310-375.

Not "... pages [310]-[375]."
500<http://desktop.loc.gov/saved/Mabibl_500> ##

$a"2090245PMA"--Page 4 of cover.

Not "... -Page [4] of cover."

This seems fine to me and I've been following it in my RDA cataloging:

Includes bibliographic references (pages 67-69).
not
Includes bibliographic references (pages [67]-69).

In my opinion it isn't crucial in this context that the reader of the record
know that the number "67" doesn't appear on page 67. What is crucial is that
the reader know that there's a bibliography and that it's three pages long.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Special Collections and Ancient Languages Catalog Librarian
Genre/Form Authorities Librarian
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568

"We should set an example for all the world, rather than confine ourselves to
the course which has been heretofore pursued"--Eliza R. Snow, 1842.