At the risk of sounding even more obsessive-compulsive than Bob, I offer you
this.

Not everything that we thought of as 'Notes' under AACR, is a 'Note' in RDA.

The example you show, comes under the category of 'Content'.

Content can either be at the Work level-applying to *every* expression of
the work; or at the Expression level-applying to every manifestation of the
expression.

Let's leave aside, for the moment, the question of whether we should be
including page numbers for bibliographical references, when those references
could be on different pages in different manifestations.

This particular type of content is covered under 7.16
<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/7.16.html>  as Supplementary Content

The instruction on recording supplementary content says "record the nature
of that content"

In "Module1IntroManifestItemsSept12
<http://www.loc.gov/catworkshop/RDA%20training%20materials/LC%20RDA%20Traini
ng/Module1IntroManifestItemsSept12.doc> ' of the LC RDA Training documents,
they say:

Transcribed Elements vs. Recorded Elements

RDA distinguishes between transcribed elements and recorded elements.

*       For transcribed elements, generally accept the data as found on the
resource.
*       For recorded elements, the found information is often adjusted (for
example, the hyphens in an ISBN are omitted).

I can't find an explanation of this distinction anywhere in RDA, but it
certainly is a helpful distinction and it might be very useful if it was
added somewhere (perhaps in the glossary)

So, if an instruction says 'Transcribe' you will put down exactly what you
find on the source, except for the exceptions provided in a particular
instruction; this term is used in most of the instructions in chapters 2-4
for recording the attributes of manifestations and items.

But if an instruction says 'Record', you will put down what you find on the
source, but not necessarily exactly as  you found it. This term is used in
all (?) of the instructions in chapters 6-7 for recording the attributes of
works and expressions, and certain of the instructions for recording the
attributes of manifestations and items (most notably chapter 3) .

So, following the instruction at 7.16, we simply 'record' the supplementary
content, without the requirement to transcribe any of the data that we
include, which means we do not need to use square brackets for anything we
enter for this element.

As for the things that RDA still considers Notes (under 2.20
<http://access.rdatoolkit.org/2.20.html> ): 2.20.1.2 says we can take
information for notes on manifestation or item from any source, and 2.20.1.3
refers us to 1.10, which does not mention anything about needing square
brackets for any data; so it is good thing that the LC-PCC PS for 1.7.1 has
the instruction quoted by Bob (although it would be easier to find if it was
linked to 1.10)

Deborah

Deborah Fritz

TMQ, Inc.