As I just said: It's really not well presented. But now I see that it's even worse than I thought.

I still believe that 2.4.2.4 is all about deciding which statement(s) is/are the "normal" ones, when you're confronted with statements in different languages. Once you've managed that, you can go on to 2.4.3 to handle the others.

But 2.4.2.4 makes it sound as if _all_ the statements are "statements of responsibility relating to title proper", so one wonders why they can't be all recorded in the "statement of responsibiity relating to title proper" element. But according to 2.4.3.1 we find that only one of them can be recorded in this element, whereas the others have to be recorded as "parallel statement of responsibility relating to title proper."

I've just read 2.4.3.1 again, veeerrry slowly: "A parallel statement of responsibility relating to title proper is a statement of responsibility relating to title proper (see 2.4.2.1) in a language and/or script that differs from that recorded in the statement of responsibility relating to title proper element."

So now: Is such a thing a statement of responsibility relating to title proper??? Well, it seems that it is and it isn't. Curiouser and curiouser...

Heidrun

Ben wrote:

Hm, now I'm getting confused.

2.4.2.4 applies to "a statement of responsibility relating to title proper [that] appears on the source of information in more than one language".

But the scope statement to 2.4.3 defines "parallel statement of responsibility" as "a statement of responsibility relating to title proper (see 2.4.2.1) in a language and/or script that differs from that recorded in the statement of responsibility relating to title proper element".

Is it just me, or do they seem to be talking about the same thing?

Or is 2.4.3ff limited to cases where you already have parallel titles AND parallel s-o-r's? (On a closer look, it's not--2.4.3.2 says, "If there is no corresponding parallel title proper, take parallel statements of responsibility relating to title proper from the same source as the title proper" so clearly it also applies to situations where there is no parallel title proper, only parallel statements of responsibility.)

So, what's going on here??

--Ben

Benjamin Abrahamse

Cataloging Coordinator

Acquisitions, Metadata and Enterprise Systems

MIT Libraries

617-253-7137