Elaine Svenonius suggests that a fifth objective of navigate should be added to
the existing four (FISO), where navigate is about moving through the
bibliographic universe, as expressed in a database, to find works related to a
given work. She bases this on what research into information seeking behaviour
tells us users want to do, and on the fact that 'the bibliographic codes of
rules used to organise documents assume its existence' (p. 18-20)
Svenonius, E. (2000). The intellectual foundation of information organization.
Cambridge, MA: MIT Press

I continue to be concerned that the extensive published research into
information behaviour (including information seeking) is ignored, or at least
frequently overlooked, by the cataloguing community in these discussions.  To
take one prominent, Fisher, K. E., Erdelez, S., & McKechnie, L. E. F. (Eds.).
(2005). Theories of information behavior. Medford, NJ: Published for the
American Society for Information Science and Technology by Information Today.
Or consider much of what Tom (TD) Wilson has written (among many dozens of
others). And there is a lot written in languages other than English which does
not get noticed (thanks to David Bade for making this point on other occasions).

In the light of information behaviour research, I think we could unpack the
ideas behind 'find' considerably more than we have. Identify and select are not
necessarily separate processes either.

Amanda

Amanda Cossham
Principal Lecturer, Programme Leader (ILS Majors)
School of Information Science and Technology
[cid:image001.gif@01CE8D06.C6295200]
Phone +64 4 9135518 or 0508 650200 ext:5518 | Fax +64 4 9135948
3 Cleary Street, Waterloo | Private Bag 31914, Lower Hutt 5040
http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz

Kevin M Randall wrote:

Even after a few years of hearing this, I'm still trying to figure out what are
these "other types of tasks" users have that do not fit into the FRBR user
tasks.  Would it be possible to list just a few of them?  And not dissertations
about them, but just some succinct examples.  I have a feeling (a very strong
one) that if we're able to come to agreement about the meaning of the FRBR
tasks there would be much less disagreement about what users are actually doing.

Kevin M. Randall
Principal Serials Cataloger
Northwestern University Library
k...@northwestern.edu<mailto:k...@northwestern.edu>

James Weinheimer wrote:

I think that very few catalogers today would maintain that the FRBR user tasks
are what people really and truly want more than other types of tasks.

<<inline: image001.gif>>