I would tie two RDA instructions together:

RDA 1.1.2 "The term 'resource' is used in chapters 2-4 to refer to a
manifestation or item."

RDA 2.8.1.1 "A publication statement is a statement identifying the place or
places of publication, publisher or publishers, and date or dates of
publication of a resource."

The manifestation in Chapter 2 is the actual physical object in hand, not the
original, and so the publication statement, in refering to the manifestation,
refers to that physical object. Elsewhere in RDA, 'resource' can refer to work,
expression, manifestation, or item, but not in Chapter 2 where it is only
applied to manifestations or items.

In addition, there is 2.8.1.3 Facsimiles and Reproductions, which directs the
use of a Related Manifestation element for the original publication statement:

"When a facsimile or reproduction has a publication statement or statements
relating to the original manifestation as well as to the facsimile or
reproduction, record the publication statement or statements relating to the
facsimile or reproduction. Record any publication statement relating to the
original as a publication statement of a related manifestation."

Thomas Brenndorfer
Guelph Public Library