From: Resource Description and Access / Resource Description and Access
[mailto:RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA] On Behalf Of Stewart, Richard
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:19 PM
To: RDA-L@LISTSERV.LAC-BAC.GC.CA
Subject: [RDA-L] Identifying a person of religious vocation

Hello all,

I'd appreciate any thoughts about whether I'm on the right track in dealing
with this name.

I'm doing original cataloging of Ciasta i ciasteczka Siostry Marii (Sister
Maria's cakes and cookies).  The author's name appears as Siostry Marii
(genitive case) on the title page and Siostra Maria Goretti on the verso of the
t.p.  So following 9.2.2.2 and 2.2.2, Siostra Maria would be the preferred form.

I can find no biographical information on Siostra Maria, other than that she
apparently runs an orphanage and bakery connected with a basilica in Poland.
Luckily and to my surprise, the form I have chosen for the authorized access
point, 100 0_ $a Maria, $c Siostra, does not conflict with any authorized or
variant access points in the NAF.

A wrinkle in constructing the variant access point (400 1_ $a Goretti, Maria,
$c Siostra) is that "Goretti" may not be this individual's surname; rather I
suspect that "Maria Goretti" may be her name in religion honoring Saint Maria
Goretti.  Am I right in supposing that I don't need to worry about this
distinction in setting up the access point?

Thanks in advance to the Collective Wisdom for any confirmation or correction.

--
Richard A. Stewart
Cataloging Supervisor