If you're not using the SB -40 inverter's rapid shutdown system, it has the
SPS Secure Power Supply which does just what your customer wants.

My understanding from talking to inverter mfg, is that trying to do AC
coupling with a smaller battery inverters does not work because the
anti-islanding in the grid tie inverter will be able to push the frequency
off too easily.

Morningstar makes a 600 VDC charge control that has an array transfer
switch, so that during an outage you can switch it to use one or two
strings to charge a 48 V battery bank and power any 48 V inverter. It is
manual so the operator needs to change it back when the power comes back on.

Brad