Thanks Jason,

I have one question on the sentence,

". If a dc
circuit comes from the PV array and enters a home then you need a means to
bring that circuit below 30V before attaching to, or entering, the home.
That might be a readily accessible disconnect (marked as an RS initiation
device) not mounted on the home or some type of remote relay (listed to
1741 RS) operated by an RS initiation switch on the home."

An example of
what I have done many times. There is a 600v square D disco mounted on the
garage exterior wall from a ground mounted array. The garage is attached to
the home.

Is thIs meeting the intent here please?
Dave Angelini Offgrid
Solar
"we go where powerlines don't"
http://members.sti.net/offgridsolar/
[1]
e-mail offgridso...@sti.net [2]
text 209 813 0060

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019
22:14:10 +0000, "Jason Fisher (STC)"  wrote:        Hi Jay,    Ray makes
the right distinction between the PV system and other systems that I think
applies to your example. This was the big change in 2017 as we pulled all
the non-PV stuff out of 690 and created 706, 710, etc. The PV system
disconnect is what you identify it to be though. Article 690 doesn't tell
you what disconnect is the PV system disconnect, just that one must be
identified per system. Also there is no limit on the number of disconnects
in a PV system, so you could have one local disconnect located at an array
for servicing etc but then add another one someplace else and identify that
one as the PV system disconnect if you wanted. The system disconnect is the
final one that separates the PV system from other system conductors. Other
disconnects found in a system are typically equipment disconnects for
servicing etc.    690.12 Rapid Shutdown only applies to circuits energized
by PV sources, not circuits energized by other sources such as a utility, a
battery, or a generator. The justification for RS was to protect
firefighters working in or on buildings performing emergency operations. So
if a PV array is attached to the building (not just on a roof, but for
example an awning) then 690.12 certainly applies. For a ground mounted
system the answer is "it depends". If the circuits energized by the PV
array do not enter the building (i.e. a PV system ending at an outdoor
battery shed) then it doesn't. If a dc circuit comes from the PV array and
enters a home then you need a means to bring that circuit below 30V before
attaching to, or entering, the home. That might be a readily accessible
disconnect (marked as an RS initiation device) not mounted on the home or
some type of remote relay (listed to 1741 RS) operated by an RS initiation
switch on the home.   The NEC 2020 language regarding 690.12 hasn't changed
that much. The most significant change is to further clarify what
conductors must be controlled in 690.12(A). That new language and
informational note may help some struggling with this issue though. The
other changes mainly improve the application of the new draft UL3741
standard to the inside array requirements.    Note that in both 2017 and
2020 there should be no inside the array (690.12(B)(2)) requirements for
any ground mounted system not attached to a building. I hope no other
people out there are suggesting there are. That was never identified as a
requirement for 690.12. If an inspector in your area wants that I would
personally have a prolonged discussion about that. I don't think that
position is supported by the Code language, or public record on the debates
around this issue. It's not a who's "right" or "wrong" debate. It is simply
how to apply the Code to the installation.    Also a heads up to look at
new 2020 language in 480, 706, 692, 694, and even 445, requiring the
disconnection of all onsite sources from buildings. For 1">I realize the
2017 (or probably 2020) language isn't 100% clear. It never seems to be
unfortunately. While I won't say the language is "correct", the way I
describe these issues above is in line with the public
inputs/comments/debates during the Code panel's (CMP-4) development
process, starting in 2014 and continuing to 2020. If anyone has specific
ideas for 2023 improvements please let me know.    Hope some of that helps
you all.    Jason Fisher stc.ja...@gmail.com

-------------------------
 FROM: RE-wrenches  on behalf of Ray
 SENT:
Monday, September 30, 2019 1:40 PM
 TO: re-wrenches@lists.re-wrenches.org

SUBJECT: Re: [RE-wrenches] Module-Level Shutdown for off grid systems

The PV system (and 690.12) stop at the PV Disconnect. (see figure
690.1(b), Note (2)). Charge Controllers are part of the Energy Storage
system (706) now. We presented this in our plan sets, and we drew clear
lines on the wiring diagram showing which articles applied to which parts
of the system. The AHJs have not challenged us on this. However, they
pulled a bunch of other stuff out, for instance that 705 still applies to
off grid....

I still have not seen a good presentation anywhere on
applying NEC 2017 to off grid, outside of the RE Wrenches list. Everyone is
still figuring this all out for off grid after all the changes in 2017.
Can't wait to see what 2020 looks like....
Ray WaltersRemote Solar303
505-8760
 On 9/28/19 11:33 AM, jay wrote: HI Jason   Does that mean that
690.12 B 1 would apply with the following.   A ground mounted or external
array to a living structure and if the CC was less than 1 meter from entry
into the building   You wouldn't need rapid shut down?   jay  peltz power