Ray,
Let me try to address some of those issues for you.
1) You can get the activation code before you take it to site, you just
need the serial number. Generac has a good warranty policy but they need to
know where the generator is and when it is installed to be able to provide
that.
2) An electrician can connect the wires but you would not believe the
installations we have seen, done by licensed electricians. We have a dealer
forum where installers post pictures of installations they find, and the
mistakes are criminal and dangerous. I once found a propane 20KW generator
running side a shipping container, doors closed.
3) Generac does not do direct support for generators, they require
customers call a dealer. The dealer can then call Generac, and often does.
I can't even call them if my certification expires.
4) If the generator is under warranty, you may not pay anything, depending
on the coverage. Generac is offering up to ten year warranties. But once it
is out of warranty, you will have to pay. Dealers don't work for free. The
average electrician won't be able to diagnose problems reliably on these
generators.
The residential air cooled generators are very reliable and rarely have
problems if well maintained. Techs should be traveling with common parts, I
bring a controller and a few other parts so I can solve the problem in one
go.
Blown engines are rare, but they do happen. Generally in the first few
hours, so under full warranty and replacement is generally done at
Generac's expense.
If you do have issues, contact me and I will try to help you.