We could also use one of the later techniques I eventually settled on:
have readers return a one-item list to mean "got a datum, here it is!"
or an empty list to mean "didn't get a datum".  It complicates all
actions, admittedly - now you have to unwrap the return value - but
avoids special marker cons cells.

Sincerely,
AmkG